Ask These 37 Nanny Interview Questions
February 20, 2013
Every family is unique and their nannywish lists are very different. Below is a sampling of possible questions that can shape your nanny interview; pick the ones that are most relevant to your situation.
1) General background of the candidate
- Can you describe your parents' philosophy of raising children?
- Where did you spend your early years?
- What are your hobbies and interests?
- What do you consider to be your greatest strengths?
- What do you consider to be your weaknesses?
- What are your most significant accomplishments?
- Do you have a current position and why do you want to leave?
- What are your expectations for your next position?
- What are your long-range goals?
2) Attitudes towards children and childcare knowledge
- Why did you choose to become a nanny?
- What qualities do you have that make you a good caregiver?
- What do you enjoy about looking after children?
- How many years of experience do you have with infants/toddlers?
- Do you have experience with potty training?
- What kinds of activities would you do with a (age of your child) year old?
- How would you handle a child's crying or a temper tantrum?
- Are you interested/able in taking the children to programs in the area?
- When do you think it’s safe for the children to be unsupervised?
- Are you comfortable/willing to work on homework with the children?
- Are you willing to supervise play-dates in your child's home?
- What do you find the most challenging/interesting part of working with children?
3) Talents/Skills of Candidate
- Do you enjoy reading books to children; name a few favourites.
- Are you willing/able to sing to a child (jingles,lullabies…)
- Would you describe yourself as artistic, athletic or both?
- Are you confident and willing to cook for the chldren?
- What would you cook for children aged 0-1 and 2-5?
- Are you trained in First Aid?
- What would you do in the case of a blow to the head?
- What would you do if the child is choking?
- How would you treat a high fever?
- Do you have a driver’s license?
- Are you able to drive a standard or automatic car?
- Do you have a car (rear seat belts)?
- What type of insurance do you have? (Fully comprehensive/3rd party?)
- Would you be willing to do light housework?
- Would you mind ironing shirts?
- Would you be willing to cook for the whole family?
- Are you willing to take out the garbage every week?
- Do you speak a second language?
4) Employment Details
- When would you be available to start a new position?
- What salary are you seeking?
- Are you willing/able to make a one-year commitment?
- Can you provide two current references with phone numbers?
- How do you feel about a trial period;how long should this be?
- What hours do you expect to work each week?
- What are your holiday expectations?
5) Concluding Remarks
- What would you like to say about yourself and this position to conclude this interview?
We Want to Help You Find a Great Sitter or Sitter Job
Sitter.com is an online community connecting parents with a nationwide network of sitters, child care providers and nannies for hire, offering the opportunity to find the care that best matches their specific needs.
Need a Sitter?
Need a Sitter Job?
Quickly and easily find a nanny, babysitter and child care jobs in your area, anywhere in the United States and Canada.