Top 10 Qualities of a Great Nannyby Kathy Green • February 25, 2014
Choosing just the right nanny for your child is not for the faint of heart. This caregiver will, in many cases, spend more daytime hours with your child than you will and because of that will exert a tremendous influence on him/her.
Just like any parent, you probably have carefully thought out certain qualities that you feel are essential in a prospective nanny for your children. You might want somebody who is older and more experienced, but then you realize that an older nanny may not be able to keep up with an active child. So then you consider someone who is younger; but then there is the problem of ability and experience. At the end of the day, you want to go with what your instincts tell you and base your decision on your opinion of the candidates.
Here are the top ten qualities of a great nanny that many parents look for.
- a love of working with children
- have an interest in children as individuals
- a confident and positive personality
- have experience of working with children of various ages, in a variety of different settings
- have first aid training
- be able to plan and arrange safe, fun learning opportunities
- know how to plan and prepare healthy meals and snacks
- be trustworthy
- respects your parenting philosophies
- exhibit patience, humor and sensitivity
- the ability to communicate well and connect with both children and parents
Realistically, hiring a nanny with all of the above qualities would be like finding Mary Poppins. As parents you need to prioritize your "must haves" and take the appropriate time to interview and evaluate the candidates to find the best nanny for your children.